With the cooler months making their debut, Luminary would like to offer a helping hand to our sensitive skinned friends.
Do I have sensitive skin?
If you aren’t quite sure whether or not you have sensitive skin, it’s highly possible. Sensitive skin is a very common condition that affects millions of people. It’s defined as skin that may become irritated or inflamed when it comes in contact with certain products, substances, or environmental factors such as extreme heat or cold. It may also develop as a result of other skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, or allergies.
What are the symptoms of sensitive skin?
Symptoms such as stinging, burning, and redness of the skin are common in people who suffer from sensitive skin conditions. Sensitive skin reactions may also cause dryness, flaking, pimples or even blisters.
How do I care for my sensitive skin?
People with sensitive skin should take precaution in caring for their skin by choosing products that will not irritate the skin and adhering to the following recommendations to protect their skin:
- Avoid cleansers or products that contain acids, alcohol or retinoids
- Do not use soaps that contain deodorant or fragrances
- Gently wash the skin with a soft cloth; do not use an abrasive material
- Wear soft, natural fabrics and loose fitting clothes
- Wear sunscreen year round that contains zinc oxide
- Avoid extended exposure to the sun
- Take showers with warm water instead of hot water which can dry out the skin
Before anyone with sensitive skin uses a product for the first time, it should be tested behind the ear or on the wrist. If no reaction has occurred after several days, it is safe to use the product.
If you find that you suffer from frequent rashes or reactions, consult with a dermatologist to determine whether you’re having an allergic reaction to a specific product or ingredient. A qualified provider will review the patient’s symptoms and perform a patch test. Click here to find a Luminary location nearest you and schedule your visit with a board certified medical provider.